Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is my shutter about to fail?

niksi

Kranj, SI
219 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Is my shutter about to fail?"

niksi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2006
Thu 07-Mar-13 07:07 PM

Hi Lissa and welcome to Nikonians!

I strongly doubt that the shutter has a close connection with focusing mechanism and its speed. D700 cameras have nominal shutter release count at 150,000, but can work much longer. Check here http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/ for the expected shutter lifetime. D700 is unfortunately not in the database, but you can look at the D300 data.

According to your profile you mostly use AF-S lenses that have a built-in focus motor. Therefore I would first look to the bayonet contacts if they are dirty or damaged. If yes, just send the camera to Nikon representative for cleaning.

If you noticed the slow autofocus performance with AF lenses, the culprit is most probably the "screwdriver" motor built into the camera. Again, send the camera to authorized Nikon representative for testing and possibly replacing the motor.

The third possible cause would be dirty autofocus module inside the camera. Check whether the autofocus is slow on all autofocus sensors or just on some of them. If it is slow on just some of them then very probably these sensors are dirty and need professional cleaning.

Hope you will solve your problem quickly.

Best regards,

Niko
-----------------------
Never underestimate!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as in need of help Is my shutter about to fail? [View all] , lissaanglin , Thu 07-Mar-13 03:26 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is my shutter about to fail?