Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Best RAW picture setings for Nikn D700

jrp

San Pedro Garza GarcĂ­a, MX
38668 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Best RAW picture setings for Nikn D700"

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter Member
Thu 21-Feb-13 01:03 AM | edited Thu 21-Feb-13 01:34 AM by jrp

What settings you use do have an impact on how the image is rendered on your computer screen.
This is very relevant to changes you may want to try for final use.
Best settings are those that match your intended final use.
sRGB is preferred for computer display and display on the web.
RGB is preferred for nuances, mainly subtleties in tone and color when you do print and see them on a high quality calibrated monitor.
Generally, RGB images are muted when displayed on the web.

Color space settings are only irrelevant in the sense that the image is unaltered as shot when in RAW, and you can later change the color space.

I use Lossless Compressed because its name implies there is no data discarded when saving and yet, it saves disk space.
Compressed losses some data to reduce the file size.
Uncompressed simple doesn't compress and they have the largest file size.
As for bits, the more the merrier. However, in my daily use (the web), I don't see much of a difference -and often none- in image quality, even on wider dynamic range sensors, like those on the D4 and D800.
My personal impression is that the more bits options are in preparation of the wider dynamic range of the near future.

Our experts will surely expand on this topic.

Have a great time :-)
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story
Please join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members who help this happen; upgrade.
Check our workshops at the Nikonians Academy and the Nikonians Photo Pro Shop

A topic tagged as having a question Best RAW picture setings for Nikn D700 [View all] , fdormoy , Wed 20-Feb-13 08:47 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Best RAW picture setings for Nikn D700