Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Full Camera Reset - Does it Reset Shutter Count?

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3333 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Full Camera Reset - Does it Reset Shutter Count?"

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Mon 11-Feb-13 12:14 AM

Mark - It's a fact that you cannot reset the shutter count. But as you know, the default file numbering system starts with DSC and then appends 4 digits, up to 9999, when I rolls over again and starts numbering your files DSC0001. Since I keep my original files forever, I don't want to start seeing files with identical numbers. I also employ two D700 bodies and want to know which body was used for a specific photo. So I learned early on that you can change the first three characters of the file ID, and I use letters to tell which camera body is in use and two digits to tell which cycle of 9999 files I am on. So for may "A" (older body) my files are now identified as A04xxxx. That means the image was shot with my older body and I have sent some 40+ thousand images through it. When it gets out the A049999 -- or very nearly so -- I will go into the menu and reset it to A05xxxx -- and so on. By the time I am up to A26xxxx I will have a quarter million snaps, have changed cameras or be dead -- whichever comes first! You know about Opanda -- for checking the total shutter clicks, I assume.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question Full Camera Reset - Does it Reset Shutter Count? [View all] , marks357 Silver Member , Fri 08-Feb-13 12:56 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Full Camera Reset - Does it Reset Shutter Count?