Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Anyone make use of the "1/320th FP" mode?

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Anyone make use of the "1/320th FP" mode?"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Mon 28-Jan-13 11:21 AM

I have always left my D300 and D700 in 1/320 FP mode whenever I wanted the FP option - and that is almost all the time.

I never understood the reason for 1/250 FP - never understood why I would want to shut out the option of that extra fractional stop. If the camera offered 1/1000 FP that would be better still!

It is not clear to me at the moment what difference, if any, occurs when a 1/320s speed is used when the camera is set to 1/250s FP. Presumably it shoots using much less efficient FP bursts when it doesn't have to do that, and could use the more efficient standard flash sync. I might have tested it years ago and I guess I should refresh my memory .

So I think the question should be "who doesn't use 1/320 FP" because I think a good reason would be hard to come by

I was not aware of (or recall noticing) any edge darkening issues - I'll have to test that some time.

When I am shooting wildlife with a long lens I usually keep it to 1/250s because I don't want to lose that stop, or some fraction of a stop at 1/320s even in 1/320s FP mode. I usually want all the light I can get, if only to minimize the recycle time. Any edge darkening would rarely be an issue with my birding since I am typically doing deep crops anyway.

my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question Anyone make use of the "1/320th FP" mode? [View all] , ZoneV Silver Member , Mon 21-Jan-13 09:30 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Anyone make use of the "1/320th FP" mode?