Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Shall I purchase a Nikon D700

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Shall I purchase a Nikon D700"

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Wed 06-Feb-13 12:27 AM | edited Wed 06-Feb-13 12:29 AM by Drbee

Jorge,

I'm going out on a limb with a bit different kind of suggestion. You do mention landscapes, but you don't mention a tripod. If you don't have one or are used to using one, you might try adding a quality tripod to your kit. A good/versatile one with a quality head and quick change plates can easily set you back 1-1.5K dollars.

I have a nice tripod system and it is in valuable in my photography. However, I also travel a great deal and it's often just not practical to tote a tripod about.

For my landscape photos, especially where I'm not using a tripod, I find the 16-35mm f/4 AFS VR Nikkor very useful. I use it on both DX and FX cameras. If you are possibly heading toward FX, that would be another "vote" for such a lens. The VR capabilities of this lens adds greatly to its utility including extemporaneous landscape images.

This lens does overlap considerably your DX lenses but it adds VR to your mix. I find that very useful for travel, walkabout and general WA photography.

At this time, with your current lenses, I would not get a D700. Your lens lineup just doesn't warrant that choice IMO. BTW: I'll be keeping my D700 as my primary camera for a long time, however my lenses are completely FX. I do have the 17-55mm f/2.8 AFS DX lens that I use on my DX D2Hs and it is a stellar optic. It's also a large lens and one of the reasons that I often use a tripod with my landscape images.

Another side note: if you are using a tripod, you won't find the VR feature that useful.

Best Regards,

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question Shall I purchase a Nikon D700 [View all] , montevideano Silver Member , Fri 04-Jan-13 11:02 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Shall I purchase a Nikon D700