Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Extreme conditions and the D700

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2675 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Extreme conditions and the D700"

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Sun 30-Dec-12 04:00 PM | edited Sun 30-Dec-12 08:02 PM by GiantTristan

Well - You have been to Iceland, just amplify the wind, rain & dust conditions and you approximate Patagonia. To minimize lens changes, I brought two bodies, D700 and D200 and three lenses. Lens usage was 47% 70-200, 35% 24-70, 18% 14-24. Sometimes the wind was so strong that one could not walk upright and I always used my camera bag to weigh down the tripod. To keep rain and dirt off the lens, I used a cpl filter for protection and kept the lens cap on whenever possible. I did not use any special care to protect the camera bodies from dust and light rain, for heavier rain I used a garbage bag for protection. For yourself, bring a windbreaker, a hat that you can secure to your head and a sweater. You will need adapter plugs to charge your batteries. The most "photogenic " part of Patagonia is Torres del Paine National Park in Chile, but the whole place is quite extraordinary. In case you are interested, here is a link to some pictures: http://gianttristan.smugmug.com/Latin-America/Patagonia-112010/14894550_MhSjmx/ Most of them are geo tagged, but not all, since the wind ripped off and destroyed one of my GPS units...

Tristan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Extreme conditions and the D700 [View all] , William Rounds Gold Member , Fri 28-Dec-12 05:11 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Extreme conditions and the D700