Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Bright magenta image issue

gheck58

Aliso Viejo, US
2911 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Bright magenta image issue"

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003
Mon 31-Dec-12 04:46 PM | edited Mon 31-Dec-12 05:03 PM by gheck58

The red channel on most of the older Nikon's (maybe new also) like D300, D700, etc. is very easy to blow out. This type of image is very demanding on a camera sensor. Check your camera's RGB histogram and I can almost guarantee you the red channel is clipped. There's no way you're going to get an even exposure on a Christmas tree without some amount of fill light (flash and drag the shutter). So try taking the same shot with about -.7 to 1 stop underexposure dialed in. But even with lot's of underexpose you'll never get a light bulb properly exposed without the rest of the tree going completely dark. I find 3/4 stop works well for most situations like red flowers, etc. Then you can bring some of the shadows back up in the software.

Hecky

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Bright magenta image issue [View all] , Fogtripper Silver Member , Thu 13-Dec-12 01:07 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Bright magenta image issue