Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Poor focus on my (new to me) D700

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Poor focus on my (new to me) D700"

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Mon 26-Nov-12 08:34 AM

Before you start experimenting with the AF Fine Tune feature, it would be worth eliminating some of the other variables.

As Roger says, the depth of field of FX cameras is inherently shallower than that of cropped-sensor models (when viewed under the same conditions), so you may need to mentally adjust for that.

Secondly, it's not really possible to be sure exactly which part of the flower the camera has chosen to focus on. With a relatively "deep" target at such a close distance, the AF system may choose one "petal" one time and a different one next time. Roger's suggestion of checking with a flatter target is a good one.

Lastly, you haven't said which AF settings you are using. The D700 has a comprehensive set of AF controls, and it usually takes some time to understand which combination works best for each type of subject.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

A general, generic topic Poor focus on my (new to me) D700 [View all] , TZ750F , Sun 25-Nov-12 09:42 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Poor focus on my (new to me) D700