Thanks, Mick. Well, maybe what I take from what you say is to wait, save for the D600, and go that way if I decide to go the FX route. The D700 is getting a bit long in the tooth after all. More food for thought.
Also I will find a camera store where I can do a side by side comparison. Nothing like having the real thing in your hands. I may change my mind at that point.