Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Best BIF settings

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Best BIF settings"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Thu 04-Oct-12 07:56 PM

I have 2 old ENEL-4 batteries that I got with my D2h years ago and they are both '4's now. I use Eneloop 2000ma AA as backup. I don't use the AA's a lot but when I have they seem to work fine and I think I get the 8fps rate.

The only thing I don't like about the AA pack is that the battery meter is not accurate and I think they tend to die fast without much warning. That is typical of any NiMH cells, which are very difficult to meter remaining life. I don't have enough experience to suggest a realistic useful life in terms of frame count.

If I were starting over I would try a set of Eneloops and the battery holder. A lot cheaper than the ENEL-4 and charger, and AA cells are usually useful for other tings like speedlights, especially Eneloops.

For Af settings, I would add that I use 9 pts whenever possible for BIF, and would only use 21 if I can;t do it with 9. Lesser is better but you need more accuracy in your panning.

You might try AF-C in focus priority mode just to get some feedback on how well you are tracking. In release priority mode the camera does not care and therefore you get no feedback.

I usually shoot BIF in AF-C focus priority but I give up a lot of shots that I might find useful. I suspect that the number of in focus shots also increases since the camera has time to time the shots in sync with when it thinks it is in focus. But I have no way to know how to test that, given the reality of this shooting.

It is a direct trade-off of quantity verses quality without hard numbers to help with a decision. I don't recommend either- I just suggest considering the implications and trying both methods.

For planned BIF shots in varying light I usually use Auto-ISO, with an appropriate minimum shutter speed for the lens (along the lines of Ned's suggestions). I will shoot aperture priority at the widest aperture I am comfortable with, considering the lens.

When the light is low the ISO goes up to maintain my minimum shutter speed. When the light increases I get bonus shutter speed beyond what I would get in Shutter Priority. I can tinker with the ISO setting according to the light and how much shutter speed I might want. The camera is then doing exactly what I would do in manual exposure mode if I had time to think about it and change settings.

my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Best BIF settings [View all] , William Rounds Gold Member , Sat 29-Sep-12 01:11 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Best BIF settings