Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New to D700 - I have a question about Active D-Lighting

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16976 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: New to D700 - I have a question about Active D-Lighting"

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Thu 04-Oct-12 05:44 PM

Quite honestly, this topic is frequently misunderstood. If you pay attention to your exposure (and the histogram in particular), you can leave it off independent of whether you're using NX2, LR, DxO or any other software package. If you're working very quickly or just don't want to check the histogram for blown highlights, leaving ADL on will give you a more conservative exposure and you can then use your raw converter to adjust the image to your preference. Virtually everything out there today has good tools for reining in highlights, lightening the shadows, etc. and that's all that ADL does in NX2. In short, having ADL on or off has more to do with how much attention you want to devote to exposure while shooting and less to do with the software packge you use to process your images.

My personal preference is to get the exposure "correct" and adjust the image to my personal preferences in my raw converter rather than relying on an automated guess at what I want, but it's really up to the individual photographer.

A caveat: if you are in the habit of shooting raw plus jpeg and only use the raw files if you have a big problem, leaving ADL on might be a good idea since jpegs don't have the latitude for post-processing changes that raw files do. Since I don't normally shoot that way, I leave ADL off.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

A general, generic topic New to D700 - I have a question about Active D-Lighting [View all] , colin1957 Silver Member , Thu 27-Sep-12 05:34 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New to D700 - I have a question about Active D-Ligh...