Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New to D700 - I have a question about Active D-Lighting

colin1957

UK
51 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"New to D700 - I have a question about Active D-Lighting"

colin1957 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2009
Thu 27-Sep-12 07:34 PM

I have recently purchased a D700, moving from a D200. The D700 is my first encounter with Active D-Lighting, this feature not being present on the D200.

I have purchased and read 'Mastering the Nikon D700' and have also purchased and consulted large sections of 'Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D700'.

I shoot almost entirely in RAW, 14 bit lossless compressed in the case of the D700 and process all of my images with DxO Optics Pro v7.

I have 'Active D-Lighting' set to 'Auto' and have found that many of my D700 images are underexposed and require adjustment in DxO. On reading around the use of Active D-Lighting I note that Thom Hogan's guide carries a warning about underexposure for RAW shooters using software other than Capture NX2 and recommends switching this feature off. He doesn't seem keen on this feature even when using Capture NX2.

I'd like to hear the views of experienced D700 users on this subject so that I can better understand how this obviously powerful feature works.

Thanks
Colin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic New to D700 - I have a question about Active D-Lighting [View all] , colin1957 Silver Member , Thu 27-Sep-12 05:34 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New to D700 - I have a question about Active D-Ligh...