Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New (to me) D700 Overexposing

nathantw

US
184 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: New (to me) D700 Overexposing"

nathantw Registered since 16th Jan 2008
Tue 11-Sep-12 11:23 PM | edited Tue 11-Sep-12 11:25 PM by nathantw

I'm a little late to the party, but here's my two cents. I complained heavily when I first purchased my D700 that it overexposed shots. Almost all my shots were overexposed and I had to use the exposure compensation to -.7 - -1.0 which I thought was ridiculous. I even went into the custom settings and made it permanent, but quickly took it off because my exposures were all over the map.

What I finally found out, after 2 years, is that if you shoot in Center Weighted metering instead of Matrix Metering you'll get the exposures you're looking for. Also if you set your ADR to low instead of auto you'll get "better" exposures.

For what it's worth I still can't get over how many exposures people have on their cameras. I've had my camera for 2 years and I'm pretty sure I'm still well under 15,000 exposures. I come from the film days where every shot counted since I only had a max of 12 or 36 exposures (depending on the camera being used).

Good luck and congrats on your new camera.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Also http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/

A topic tagged as having a question New (to me) D700 Overexposing [View all] , cebert Silver Member , Wed 05-Sep-12 01:18 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New (to me) D700 Overexposing