Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New D700 user question

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3325 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: New D700 user question"

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sat 15-Sep-12 07:44 PM | edited Sat 15-Sep-12 11:41 PM by ajdooley

Two ideas:

- Please fill out your profile and equipment list so we have an idea of who you are (photography-wise) and your aspirations, and equipment so we also have an idea of what you have at your disposal.
- Then, I recommend both Young & Johnson's, as well as Dave Busch's books on the D700. Both offer a wealth of information in a much, much better organized format than the Nikon owner's manual (which you can download and search from Nikon USA), along with helpful pictures.

These books will be references as long as you own and enjoy your D700. I pick up one or the other about once a month and veerytime I do, I find something I either didn't know or had forgotten. Good books bear re-reading -- and these are both good books.

I agree that you have bracketing set by the previous owner. You can restore the camera to its "from the factory" settings, in the menu. But I am reluctant to recommend this as some of Nikon's default choices -- such as normal versus fine jpegs, make no sense at all. That latter change just ensures that you are partially throwing away the data that makes your D700 a D700!

Again -- get the books: I have both and prefer Busch's -- my choice. BTW, when you send a Nikon to an authorize service center, it will come back reset to default settings. That's why it is always a good idea, once you have your settings customized to your preferences, to copy that file onto a small flash card and keep it set aside for resetting your camera after it comes back from repair if that's ever necessary. That can save an hour of finger poking!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic New D700 user question [View all] , kristi9599 , Tue 28-Aug-12 01:43 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New D700 user question