Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D700 IInsurance

KolinP

Weston-super-Mare, UK
248 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon D700 IInsurance"

KolinP Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 13th May 2006
Fri 14-Sep-12 06:48 PM

I can offer one other scenario from the UK perspective.

To summarise it in advance - yes, I too was wary of being caught with my Insurance pants down for my beloved D700 plus my top-marque lenses - especially as I've got a few photos for sale in three very visible online galleries - so I have declared to my "Home" Insurance company that I "do some business here too ...".

Happily (and maybe strangely?) this did not add any extra cost to my Insurance cover!

My "Home" policy already covers my belongings anywhere in the world, up to specified maximum per-item value (so each of the 'big' items costing more than 1,500UKP to replace as-new are specifically listed). On the policy papers there's a tick-box where I can declare whether or not my "home (is) used for any business or trade in addition to use for domestic purposes", and this was where I "told" them about my hybrid domestic+business status. But just to be extra sure, I got additional confirmation of these points from their Customer Helpdesk -

a. Cover specifically includes ALL my camera gear, even though only bits of it might be used for 'trade'? "Yes".

b. That the "business" bits don't interfere with all of my 'normal domestic' cover? "Confirmed"

c. Specifically noted that I have sold and may sell one or more photos for (ho ho ho) 'gain'? "Yes, confirmed"

d. That - in response to the Helpdesk lass's question - I don't have a 'registered business address', and that my home is not a 'registered business address'? "Noted, OK".

e. In response to the Helpdesk lass's question - I confirmed that I don't "receive customers at this address".

Yes, admittedly these were verbal confirmations rather than written ones, but I do keep careful phone-call notes, and there's nothing in all of the policy small-print that conflicts with these Helpdesk replies. And it's a big-name Insurance company too ... AA Contents Insurance, underwritten by Legal & General. (With whom I have no connections otherwise.)

My gear was once covered separately by the excellent "Nikonians Insurance Support" (NikSecure) scheme before it had to close a few years ago, but after a bit of a search, I was happy to find this ostensibly 'domestic' but flexible "AA Home" policy.

I've probably over-done this post, sorry! But I hope it'll encourage a UK / European Nikonian (or two) to get their Insurance pants fully zipped-up. It's worth checking whether your "Home" insurance policies can in fact give "appropriate" cover for our hybrid pro / not-really-pro / maybe-advanced-amateur equipment!

(Sadly ... our UK tax-office remains totally befuddled by this not-really-pro versus lucky-advanced-amateur status!!)

Colin P.

--
Staying busy is easy. Setting priorities is harder!
A doorway to my other photo sites

A general, generic topic Nikon D700 IInsurance [View all] , sensor , Thu 16-Aug-12 12:32 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D700 Insurance
Reply message RE: Nikon D700 IInsurance