Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D700 IInsurance

KazeyBunch

Fort Worth, US
40 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Nikon D700 IInsurance"

KazeyBunch Registered since 03rd Jan 2012
Mon 20-Aug-12 02:50 AM

If you've ever accepted ANY payment for your photography services and you think your gear is covered by your home owners insurance policy, guess again. Once you accept money, you’re considered a “business” by the insurer and they'll deny your claim. And they have investigators that will find out - it's their job. They even search forums like this one. I work with other contract photogs on sports gigs and have heard many horror stories about shooters using home owners floaters, etc., they pay for years, then file a claim/loss, and they're claim is denied because the gear was use business instead of personal use. They Googled one photog friend of mine and found her makeshift image website – that was their out. And no, they didn’t refund her premiums. It sounds far-fetched, but it's absolutely true.

I opted for an inland marine policy (through Liberty Mutual, but they're no longer writing new IMPs). It covers ALL my gear as long as photography is not primary source of income (I still make a tad more working for an airline - what can I say, free travel benefits are too sweet to give up just yet). Ideally, you'd get a commercial liability policy that not only covers your gear in the event of a loss, but covers your arse if someone is injured on your set - or even if a client sues you for breach of contract or failure to deliver.

Don't fall for the homeowner's floater trap if you've ever accepted payment or have your images posted anywhere.

www.kazeybunch.com

“You can miss a lot of moments with your head stuck in your LCD.” - Joe McNally

A general, generic topic Nikon D700 IInsurance [View all] , sensor , Thu 16-Aug-12 12:32 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D700 Insurance
Reply message RE: Nikon D700 IInsurance