Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10636 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: upgrade"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 22-Aug-12 07:58 PM

Originally I bought my D800E with the idea that my light kit could be the Nikon 16-85 and 70-300. That would use the D800E in DX mode with the 16-85 - and either FX or DX mode using the 70-300.

The reality is I have never used my D800 in DX mode other than testing. I have looked at crops that are DX size or smaller. The D800E outperforms the D7000 and D300 in terms of image quality even if the D800 is cropped. My preference is to crop after post processing rather than in the camera. The other advantage to this approach is you can shoot a little looser and still have a good tight crop - two images in one if you will.

The only real disadvantage of using DX mode with FX lenses is that you see the entire viewfinder with a dark line creating the border of the DX image. That means the image is a little small compared to the full frame. That can be a plus since you can see the edges more easily. But generally a small distant subject remains hard to see.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

This is a hot, active topic! upgrade [View all] , sensor , Sat 11-Aug-12 01:41 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: upgrade