Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: upgrade"

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sun 19-Aug-12 11:46 AM

As both a D7000 and D700 owner, the decision is slightly blurred by the need for a new semi pro APS-C sensor D400 style camera. If I could be convinced totally that the D800 could deliver my wildlife needs in DX mode to a better IQ in terms of ISO noise than my D7000, then I am interested. There again I am also keen on landscape and I'm afraid to say that to see the best results of what a D800 can do is not always going to be available by viewing the images here. Many images I see from the D800 could in my view have been achieved by a D700, even many of the "wow" factor results.

The D800 is an expensive upgrade if it will do little more than my D7000 and D700. However, I do take Eric's point when he says - "But to me, the question is what's next? Do you intend to keep using the D700 until the successor to the D800 is released around 2015? Are you looking for a D400 to compliment a D700? Are you looking to add mirrorless capability?"

In financial terms, I suppose my 3.5 year old D700 or near 2 year old D7000 could catastrophically fail rendering the camera useless and valueless too. To buy a D800 for that reason alone is expensive as I would probably be purchasing just the satisfaction of a warranty!

It's a difficult call and one I am constantly fighting with, not helped with the AF issues which I am sure are now resolved on all new builds. My final decision will be made no later than 23rd September this year when Photokina will either announce a new semi pro APS-C sensor dSLR or not.

Personally, all I know is that from a landscape perspective if a D800 had never been launched I would not be wishing a replacement for a D700, so for landscape photography I feel I have answered my own question

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

This is a hot, active topic! upgrade [View all] , sensor , Sat 11-Aug-12 01:41 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: upgrade