Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 problem with hot shoe?

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D700 problem with hot shoe?"

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Wed 08-Aug-12 01:51 PM

Update: I got one of my D700 bodies back, with a new hot shoe. It is DEFINITELY tighter and the SB-800 more rigid than on the one that has had problems again. But... try this before you send the camera off:

-- Clean the contacts ob both the camer hot shoe and the flash.
-- Mount the flash on the camera. If it is loose, gently press it backward , and if it resumes functioning correctly, the issue is a loose or "sloppy-loose" hot shoe. Before you spend $200+, I'd be inclined to try the water guard recommended elsewhere in this thread and or go to a flash bracket and connection to the hot shoe. That puts less stress on the camera hot shoe and reduced red eye substantially. I don't recommend trying to bend the hotshoe closed a little, as some have done. There are parts under it and dinging them is a distinct possibility -- probability in my clumsy case!

I am NOT a camera repairman -- but this worked for me. I am now more convinced than ever, that the D700 hot shoe is NOT strong enough to take the use many of us subject it to when using Nikon flashes. It seems to "open up" under use, causing insufficient contact with the contacts and thus, disabling communication between the flash and camera.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D700 problem with hot shoe? [View all] , ajdooley Gold Member , Fri 27-Jul-12 09:28 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 problem with hot shoe?