Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and acce...

robsb

San Jose, US
14830 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Wed 25-Jul-12 09:39 PM

I have now taken multiple trips with my D700 to Europe, Australia, Iceland, etc. In each case I tailor what I bring to what I intend to shoot. I also try to keep my total weight of my camera bag, a Tamrac Pro 5, sometimes with one external lens case to 11 lbs roughly the 5 kg you say you carry. I DO NOT carry an external flash as in most places I have been you can't use them anyway and the built in flash works in most instances where I needed it and it was allowed. So my MUST HAVE lens is my 17-35 f/2.8. the majority of images I make can be made with that. I do not carry a tripod, pretty much for the same reasons as the flash. With the D700 I have rarely missed a photo without it. I will start taking a table top and see if it gets any use. My next MUST have lens is my 35-70 f/2.8, but sometimes it gets left behind. It was replaced by a 70-200 VR when I went to Iceland because I planned to shoot Puffins. I usually never carry the 70-200. Lately I have been packing my 85 mm f/1.4 lens as it is great in theaters and interiors and I carry a Kenko 1.4 TC that I use with this lens and the 35-70 as I have found that generally this is the most reach I need a 119 mm and it is still a fast lens combo. Finally I throw in my 16 mm Fish eye because it is so small I can even put it in my pocket. The other stuff in the bag is my CF cards ( I usually leave most in the hotel safe and carry one or two, I DO NOT EVER bring a computer or a backup drive as the CF card is virtually indestructible while the other things are not. I carry one extra battery. The charger stays in the room, I carry a polarizing filter, a remote release, a small flashlight. I usually have my bag slung across my chest, and keep my D700 out and on my shoulder with an Up Strap. This tends to work fine to distribute the weight. I do not take a camera backpack as I find them awkward to work out of and I have a Lowepro like you. I also find they tend to make your back sweat in hot weather. I do take a photog vest and will wear it if it is not too hot and then I can stuff thing in the pockets and not in my bag. I am considering trying a belt arrangement as another way to carry my gear. In general I agree with others here that the best way is to consider what you will be shooting that day and bring only what you need. If you have a kitchen sink mentality you are only asking for back pain. For me P&S cameras don't cut it. I know the D700 seems heavy, but a little weight training will make it feel light. As you say you came back with great pictures. My last trip on the Rhine and Danube I saw all kinds of Nikon's with Big lens and tons more P&S and I was the only one getting images in some situations because of my fast lenses and great ISO performance of the D700.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

This is a hot, active topic! How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and acce... [View all] , Blondul , Tue 24-Jul-12 12:38 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and ...