Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Rokinon 85mm f1.4 on D700

Patrick28

Port Jervis, US
90 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Rokinon 85mm f1.4 on D700"

Patrick28 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2010
Tue 24-Jul-12 12:31 PM

(This message is posted on the D700 forum as the problem so far has been confined to the D700, not to other Nikon DSLR's.)

Anyone know of a problem with this lens on the D700? It is reported and sold as compatible with Nikon but has a definite problem with the D700 (and only the D700?) in that it consistently shoots at one f-stop closed down from the f-stop selected by the aperture ring.

This lens has absolutely NO contacts to communicate with the camera. You go to manual mode and set the aperture on the aperture ring. It cannot be set from the camera body. On Nikon, if you are in A-mode, the shutter speed does track the aperture setting for a constant EV. (Of course, it got the aperture from the metal cutout on the lens that engages the tab on the camera's mounting plate -- Think AI, AIS.
(It is my suspicion that the metal cutout on the lens is not registered properly. But then, why on the D700 only?)

An unconfirmed report on the web stats there is a version that does include a chip to communicate with the camera but it doesn't state just what is communicated. That message did state that that version of the lens is compatible with the D700 but my retailer pleads ignorance, insisting the the original version with no contacts is compatible with the D700. (Yes, it does mount on the D700 and can take pictures but at the wrong aperture.)

Any encouragement here? Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Rokinon 85mm f1.4 on D700 [View all] , Patrick28 Silver Member , Tue 24-Jul-12 10:31 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Rokinon 85mm f1.4 on D700