Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Pros and Cons - FX versus DX. Why switch?

olivierrychner

Boudry, CH
5255 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Pros and Cons - FX versus DX. Why switch?"

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005
Thu 27-Sep-12 11:48 AM

Hi!

As Brian Tilley here above, I've had both the D300 (bought second-hand) and the D700 (bought new in the beginning of 2011) alongside for a while, about a year.

I quickly realized that most of my shooting "slid" from the D300 to the D700, effortlessly: I had a vast array of lenses, from AIs to AF-S VR, and I shoot mostly landscape and architecture, so the 1.5 crop factor was not really important to me. I finally sold my entire DX collection this year in March: a 18-70, a 18-200VR, a Sigma 18-50/2.8 and a 35/1.8 DX along with the D300 itself. The money I got from that deal offered me a 28-300VR and a Fuji X10 - I had to add about 100 Swiss francs to make the deal.

As has been stated, the main advantage is high-ISO and low-light, but I also found it easier to shoot wide-to-moderately-wide landscapes (a Sigma 12-24 and a Nikon 17-35 are among my favourite lenses), and the depth of field is thinner, making for nice portraits (50/1.8, 28-70/2.8, 85/1.8, 80-200/2.8). The only domains that I am now "less well equipped" to tackle are wildlife, but I don't do much of it, and macro, and I really do it seriously only in the spring. My dedicated lenses for those two fields are an aging 80-400VR and a Tamron 90/2.8. I am thinking of getting rid of both to fund a longer macro lens such as the Sigma 150 or Tamron 180, but I am in no hurry for that.

All in all, I'd encourage going FX for high-iso (but a D7000 DX camera has good low-light, high-ISO capabilities), wide-angle shots (but there is the Nikon DX 10-24 and an announced Samyang 10mm!) and thinner depth-of-field, and of the three reasons here only the last one is substantially impossible to reproduce in DX. All the rest, as I have just shown, is not limited to FX, so there is really no magic: sensor technology and embarked processing power are progressing by huge steps, as is proved by the difference between a not-quite-ten-year-old Coolpix 5400 and a brand-new Fuji X10: I would never have guessed that I could use a compact camera at ISO 1600, or even 3200, with results that actually beat those I got with the D70 of 2003 and equal the 2005 D200!

Another, more decisive factor would be an existing set of lenses; such was my case as I inherited my father's Nikon arsenal when he died 10 years ago, and it was a pity not to use that 28-70/2.8: a 42-105 is not a range I favor

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

This is a hot, active topic! Pros and Cons - FX versus DX. Why switch? [View all] , alaska2012 , Thu 19-Jul-12 09:31 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Pros and Cons - FX versus DX. Why switch?