Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 - Focus Screens - KatzEye

ptremb

Manchester, US
98 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D700 - Focus Screens - KatzEye"

ptremb Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2010
Tue 17-Jul-12 01:05 AM

I purchase a Katzeye for my d3000 2 years ago as all I could afford at the time was af lenses. I found it to be a big improvement over the standard matte screen, they are really good but not the same as an old style f series focus screen however, just different. I found it didn't seem to affect the af system when using a kit lens, the green dot indicator seemed to be fairly close & also found no change in the exposure but I did get the 'special ultra bright coating' that made it more transparent I also found the only other offerings were from china sellers that seemed to be priced to go if you know what I mean. Made me question the quality. Katzeye are made in Massachusetts on an as needed basis they don't keep a large stock on hand, so when you order, it may take a few days to make it.

Seems that the big guys have no need to make split screen screens any more & rather you just buy a new lens. Darn shame as some of the best lenses are now dirt cheep but you can't use them to the fullest if you can't tell if the subject your aiming for is in focus.

I have been pondering getting one for the 700 but as it has the screw drive I get to use my old lenses & unless I am trying to photograph a subject behind something I don't mf very much.

Since canon can do it maybe if all the pro body owners got together and pestered enough do you think Nikon might be nice enough to make a old school split screen for us?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D700 - Focus Screens - KatzEye [View all] , BrianS Silver Member , Mon 16-Jul-12 07:54 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 - Focus Screens - KatzEye