Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

USA or gray market

SRFast

New York City, US
1522 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: USA or gray market"

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004
Sat 07-Jul-12 09:07 PM

Doug,
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but being able to register a Nikon product on the Nikon USA website DOES NOT guarantee it is a Nikon USA authorized product. I purchased a used Nikon D3 in 2009 from a private seller and he never stated it was grey market. Being proactive, I registered the D3 while it was in transit to me thinking everything was fine. Unfortunately when the camera arrived, it had neither the "(U)" indicator on the box or the "Nikon USA" sticker in the battery chamber. I contacted the seller about this and he admitted he purchased the D3 out of country. I returned the D3 and got a full refund. The box had a "(J)" indicator on the box.

From my experience, Nikon USA camera bodies have either the (U) stamp on the box next to the serial number, a "Nikon USA" sticker in the battery chamber or both.

Hope this helps...JL

A general, generic topic USA or gray market [View all] , DMKerr Silver Member , Fri 06-Jul-12 11:06 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: USA or gray market