Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Cold-boot reset for D700 (or other digital SLR) VR o...

GilesW

Edinburgh, UK
67 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Cold-boot reset for D700 (or other digital SLR) VR or autofocus fault."

GilesW Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2010
Thu 28-Jun-12 08:20 PM | edited Fri 29-Jun-12 06:44 AM by GilesW

The vibration reduction function on my D700 and Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens has been unreliable for many months.

As it could be useful to Nikon DSLR users, I am posting this.

Revised 29/06/2012: {page references to D700 manual} etc.

Researching the subject I found that someone had sold a professional grade VR lens on eBay, but it had been returned due to claimed faulty VR operation. The seller then re-advertised the lens for sale together with a free F80 (N80) film camera body to prove that the VR worked reliably, assuring bidders that the lens was good but the original buyer's camera must have been faulty!

As I have an F80 and a D1x (but no other VR lens) I was able to test the lens I suspected, but it worked reliably on both those bodies. The fault was obviously in my D700.

By experimenting with various alternatives I discovered an interim fix for the D700. Cycling the VR switch from ON to OFF to ON with the camera ON restored VR operation, usually until I switched the camera off again.

Extensive internet searches found nothing about this VR fault, but I found a Nikonians forum posting about how to cure faulty autofocus on a D300. I decided to try this before taking my camera and lens to the local Nikon agent, and luckily it worked. Based on the D300 poster's experience this might have saved me a repair bill with "no fault found" but the camera still not working properly.

That posting says a Nikon technician explained that the "two green button" restore is not enough to fully reset the camera's digital electronics {D700 manual p196 refers}.
A procedure analogous to a computer cold-boot is required.

The cold-boot procedure (revised) is:

1. Save the camera settings on a CF card (Setup menu, spanner icon){p344}.
2. Turn camera OFF, remove the lens and CF card {p42}.
3. Turn camera ON. Hold down the two green buttons for 3 seconds. Control panel LCD turns off briefly. This resets some camera settings {p196,197,418}.
4. Go into the Custom Settings menu (pencil icon) and click Reset Custom Settings - YES {p282}.
5. Switch OFF.
Remove the battery.
Switch to ON.
Hold down the shutter button for 20 seconds (to discharge capacitors).
Switch to OFF.
6. Replace the battery.
Replace the CF card.
Switch camera ON.
Load the settings (Setup menu) {p344,345}.
Remember to switch off before refitting the lens {p37}.

This fixed my D700, and VR now works reliably (so far anyway).

NOTE: It is probable that the fault was caused by removal and refitting of a lens with the camera switched on (contrary to the instructions).

Any comments?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Cold-boot reset for D700 (or other digital SLR) VR o... [View all] , GilesW Silver Member , Thu 28-Jun-12 06:20 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Cold-boot reset for D700 (or other digital SLR) ...