Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Question about continuous shooting

Pouncer

Memphis, US
1230 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Question about continuous shooting"

Pouncer Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 04-Jun-12 05:57 PM

Using release instead of focus is somewhat of a gamble. There is a good chance you will get some out of focus images. I can live with that.

For me it started as a necessity because my daughter's indoor karate tests had so little light and contrast that I was missing shots waiting for the focus to lock. Since I knew that most photos would be taken at a similar distance I changed the setting to release instead. The trade off was missing some shots as being out of focus, but at least the shutter was firing. If you have enough DOF, you can miss focus by a bit and still be okay.

Outdoors I've found focusing to be fast enough in most all situations that I rarely miss shots from lack of focus (unless I lose track of the subject). I also shoot in bursts of 3 to 5 frames at a time. So even if the first shot is not in good focus, the later shots in the burst usually are in focus.

If you can track your subject well using AF-On, and keep your subject in focus, it should not matter if you have a1 set to focus. Nor will it matter if a1 is set to release.

My theory is that if I am shooting action photos (sports, wildlife, etc.) I want the shutter to fire when I press the button, period. If I have time to ensure focus is locked, that's fine. I will wait and be patient in taking shots. But if not, any shot is better than no shot. I'd rather have a chance at getting "the" action shot rather than missing it altogether if the focus isn't dialed in to the camera's liking.

Garrett

This is my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Question about continuous shooting [View all] , glxman Moderator Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife & Landscape Photography , Sun 03-Jun-12 10:50 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Question about continuous shooting