Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is the D700 still worth getting?

KazeyBunch

Fort Worth, US
40 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?"

KazeyBunch Registered since 03rd Jan 2012
Tue 22-May-12 06:22 PM | edited Tue 22-May-12 06:23 PM by KazeyBunch

YES! Definitely a lot of hype over the D800, but I haven’t fallen for it. I'm sure it's an amazing body, but the D700 is all the camera I need. I plan on buying a second one as a backup. I shoot a D700 professionally on sports, urban, portraiture and nature with 14-24, 24-70 & 70-200mm high-end Sigma & Nikkor glass. I print up to 16x24 with amazing quality (capture in RAW, process in ACR, convert to TIFF) and no worries about viewing distance - and can go bigger if I need to. The D700 is basically a D800 without video. The D700 also gives you a choice of DX or FX framing – a nice tool if I want a bit more “reach” with my 200 for in-camera cropping. I’d rather have a full frame 12MP than a cropped 16MP any day. The full frame yields better overall quality, low light performance, and dynamic range. The D700 is versatile, reliable and sturdy. There’s a reason it’s the official camera of the US military. For the shooting scenarios you describe however, the D7000 seems adequate. But if you’re going to invest in high-end glass, consider the FX vs. DX formatting, as not all lenses work on both. So plan ahead. In addition to used, watch for refurbished D700s and open box deals. I got mine for a steal because the box was open. Cheers.

www.kazeybunch.com

“You can miss a lot of moments with your head stuck in your LCD.” - Joe McNally

A general, generic topic Is the D700 still worth getting? [View all] , drseuss , Fri 18-May-12 08:12 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?