Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is the D700 still worth getting?

drseuss

Daly City, US
69 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Is the D700 still worth getting?"

drseuss Registered since 14th Dec 2011
Fri 18-May-12 10:12 PM

I have a D800 on order from Amazon since March 23. While I have been waiting, I started thinking about why I am so interested in the D800. I come from using a D7000 about 1 1/2 years ago (my first DSLR). I mostly take pictures of my family and friends and an occasional basketball game, but I have recently got interested in landscapes. So I came to the conclusion that I just got caught up in the hype of the D800 and it really isn't the camera for me. I think it is a great camera, but I just don't need the high MP count. I also don't have the glass to get the most out of the D800. And I figured that I should save a few bucks so that I could invest the money into better glass. I know that I do want to go full frame just because it will pair up nicely with my interest in landscapes.

So I feel like I have two options. One is to see what else comes out this year or early next year. Two is the D700. So I'm thinking that the rumored D600 sounds interesting to me. It sounds like a full frame version of the D7000, except without the AF motor. That is fine with me.

The D700 sounds like a good choice as well. There are just a couple of things that I'm worried about. I have never used a D700, so I'm not totally familiar with it. I'm wondering if the 12MP is going to limit me. I am coming from a 16MP camera. And while I understand that MP count isn't a huge deal when getting good pictures, I do crop quite a bit. So I'm worried that I may need more MP so that I won't lose too much detail when I crop. Also, I'm going to have this camera for a long time I hope (I'm basically going to start building my glass collection after getting my body). I'm hoping that the technology in the camera isn't too outdated. I don't do large prints now, but I was hoping to make some large prints of my photos one day soon in the future.

So right now I'm trying to figure out if I want to go with the D700 while I can still get a good deal on a new one or a quality used one, or if I should pass up on the D700 and see what comes out in the near future.

Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Is the D700 still worth getting? [View all] , drseuss , Fri 18-May-12 08:12 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?