Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

best lens for vacation

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: best lens for vacation"

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Fri 18-May-12 12:15 AM

After all day, the camera gets to be big and heavy too and a bit hard to disguise....

I use my 24-120mm f/4 AFS VRII frequently. It's a great range and the VR is a significant advantage in a fast moving travel situation. I've recently started using a Black Rapid strap and that's made a huge difference in my ability to carry the load all day. The strap is secure and easy to use, but the carry is exposed. Prior to that I've used a Domke J803 bag that's literally been all over the world with me. I work from the bag and "holster" the camera after each use. It's nice to have both options at your disposal.

Regardless of zoom choice, I also take a fast prime lens to give me the option of "skinnying" down the camera, especially for after dinner walks. The focal length is a matter of choice, but my personal preference is the 35mm f/2 AFD lens. It's a bit dated, but light weight and certainly sharp enough in the center to create good images. It's a standard reportage lens, but now replaced by the 35mm f/1.4 AFS lens which is huge (size and weight). My other choice is a 50mm f/1.4 AFD. These two AFD lenses work well on the D700, are compact and both still adequate in the optics department.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic best lens for vacation [View all] , sensor , Thu 17-May-12 08:01 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: best lens for vacation