Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Gigapan Epic Pro - lens & software suggestions?

wombatj

UK
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Gigapan Epic Pro - lens & software suggestions?"

wombatj Registered since 14th Mar 2012
Sat 05-May-12 10:38 AM | edited Sat 05-May-12 05:06 PM by wombatj

>Zooms can change focal length either by accident or creep.
>Nothing worse than to be a couple hundred shots into a pano
>and have a change of focal length. Primes are lighter and
>they are considered at least historically to be sharper. I'm
>dragging out a slew of old Nikkor primes in anticipation of a
>D800 arrival to test that theory. over do it but it is fun to play. Good luck.
>
>
>Harry

Thanks again Harry and Nathan, it's great to receive such experienced advice. I was likewise concerned about the risk of focal lengths shifting and will be sure to tape the zoom when using that, and to experiment also with primes. It's a case of thinking that the VR on the former might have some positive effect to stabilise the lens quickly as the gigapan moves each couple of seconds, vs the advantage of a sharp prime - but practice will tell. At this stage now I just wait to see if the budget is approved to buy the Gigapan, not least because there is interest from other quarters in providing Gigapan shots for related educational / museum institutions. I think the scope of this machine extraordinary. Best, Jethro

ps. I greatly enjoyed your accounts of public curiosity in what you were shooting. I suppose this is inevitable when you take a piece of NASA technology out into the wild yonder!

POSTCRIPT: have just been given approval to purchase the Gigapan for our school, links to photos will follow once we have learned how to use it! Thanks for all your help.

A general, generic topic Gigapan Epic Pro - lens & software suggestions? [View all] , wombatj , Tue 01-May-12 12:45 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Gigapan Epic Pro - lens & software suggestions?