Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Gigapan Epic Pro - lens & software suggestions?

wombatj

UK
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Gigapan Epic Pro - lens & software suggestions?"

wombatj Registered since 14th Mar 2012
Wed 02-May-12 07:14 PM

More good advice Nathan, thank you.

I have a fairly hefty Gitzo tripod which I can weigh down further with a hanging bag of some description. Re passersby, yes, I'll endeavour to be at my most diplomatic. In the past, while photographing French Cathedrals for any length of time, people invariably came up to chat, but I rather enjoy that. The risk that I envisage with the Gigapan (and no, it's not bought yet, but the application for purchase went to my employer yesterday) is that any such "visitors" will then appear in the photos which follow. There is a Gigapan of St Paul's in London on the web at the moment, an otherwise excellent composite photograph, but with a great many split people in the view. On the other hand, Andrew Tallon, an academic in the US has achieved unbelievably fine photos of various great French churches, inspiring me to try and do something similar. FYI follow the links at: http://art.vassar.edu/faculty/antallon.html

All best, Jethro

>My pleasure to help. If you just purchased your Gigapan and
>haven't used it outdoors yet, there's a little something you
>should know that's undocumented. You'll attract attention from
>passerby's like bees to honey. Hopefully you're good with
>people. I'm the wrong person for this and I hate getting
>attention, but I attract it and so I deal. One of the reasons
>why I didn't get a Gigapan Pro is because it's so much larger
>than the Epic 100. I can't imagine the hordes of people that
>will swarm me while I take the picture.
>
>One thing to get, if you don't already own one, is a really
>sturdy tripod. Also, someone suggested a small tent to put
>around the unit to block the wind. I think that's a good idea.
>
>
>Nathan

A general, generic topic Gigapan Epic Pro - lens & software suggestions? [View all] , wombatj , Tue 01-May-12 12:45 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Gigapan Epic Pro - lens & software suggestions?