Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Gigapan Epic Pro - lens & software suggestions?

nathantw

US
184 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Gigapan Epic Pro - lens & software suggestions?"

nathantw Registered since 16th Jan 2008
Wed 02-May-12 05:13 PM

>And one further thing in response to your helpful comments -
>it sounds from what you said that the Epic 100 could likewise
>handle a substantial combined weight of DSLR body and lens? I
>only ask because if so then this would be a good alternative,
>financially speaking. Thanks, Jethro

I found that it can hold up to 5 pounds 1 ounce. Not one ounce more. Of course the triggering device also counts as weight too, so you'll most likely want to take it off the mount and use an external release. The weight of the camera, though, will bend the camera plate (where it sits upon) so you'll need to prop it up somehow. I use a plastic ball that works well. They may have changed the design of the Epic 100 where the motor isn't as powerful either.

Here's my unit with the 400mm lens. You'll see that I have the external release off the unit (it's held together with the rubber bands.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/6723677991/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/6723666451/in/photostream/

I also rigged to unit and made purchased an external battery so I can get at least 3000 pictures if I need to.

If I was going to use the D700 on the Gigapan more often, though, I'd get the Gigapan Pro since it has the remote trigger cable built in. Also the built in batteries I heard last about 1000 shots so the need for an external battery won't be necessary either. I normally use a Canon Powershot SD950. It works pretty well, but as you can see with some of the Grand Canyon pictures that I took on the gigapan site, they're not as smooth looking as a D700. I was thinking of a mirrorless camera since it's smaller and can hold whatever lens I want to throw on it. I just didn't want to wear out my shutter in the D700.

Some person was selling their Gigapan Pro for about $700 on Epray the last month and I should have purchased it since I would have saved $200, but I decided, as I said earlier, that I didn't want to attract attention. However, I may still buy one at a later date at a regular cost. I like the idea I could use my Hasselblad 180mm lens with my D700 (or at least the Nikon 28-300) on the Gigapan.

Nathan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Also http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/

A general, generic topic Gigapan Epic Pro - lens & software suggestions? [View all] , wombatj , Tue 01-May-12 12:45 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Gigapan Epic Pro - lens & software suggestions?