Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Focusing faces on D700

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7065 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Focusing faces on D700"

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Sun 22-Apr-12 07:13 PM | edited Sun 22-Apr-12 07:20 PM by JosephK

When an even number of subjects in the frame, there is normally nothing in the center of the frame to focus on since the two subjects are on the sides of the center. Here you need to either pick an off-center focus point on one of the middle subjects or focus on one of the subjects then recompose the frame.

For two people standing side by side, f/5.6 might be a good place to start for depth of field (the amount in focus from front to back). If one is behind the other, you will need more depth of field. Don't forget you have a DOF preview button that will show you what the scene will look like when stopped down.

Check out the Nikonians Depth Of Field calculator where you can see what happens when you change the numbers.
https://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/dof/hyperfocal2.html

For focus modes, I run the camera using the AF-ON button always in AF-C mode. I get continuous focus with press-and-hold, AF-S simulation using press-and-release. On a still subject I might shoot single-point, but for people shots normally I use dynamic 9 or 21 point. (My default configuration is sports shooting.)

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

A general, generic topic Focusing faces on D700 [View all] , conradcjc Silver Member , Sat 21-Apr-12 08:26 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Focusing faces on D700