Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Compact flash card maximum

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3385 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Compact flash card maximum"

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sun 22-Apr-12 03:20 PM

I agree with advice NOT to shoot until the last possible image. There's no technical reason I know of, but as sure as can be, if you aren't aware of where you are, you will find a critical moment happening in front of you while you are fumbling for a new card.

Second point: I carry empty cards in the little plastic holders they come in. In turn, I carry several empty cards in a zip lock in my camera bag, and when I remove a "full" card I drop it in with them all, without putting it back into the small plastic box holder. At the end of the day I download my cards -- twice -- to two different hard drives: one in the PC and anther external to the PC. Then and only then do I put the cards into my camera, format them and either leave them in the camera for the next shoot or put them back into the plastic box holders. Am I paranoid? Probably. But I have not lost an image in years. In fact, I keep another external hard drive at a neighbor's house a block away. I swap external drives monthly, update the one coming home, and then proceed. Why don't I use outside data back up services? They are businesses. Busnesses fail or disappear. Again -- paranoid? Probably. But I used to take pretty good care of negatives, and I still have them too!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Compact flash card maximum [View all] , earlkn Silver Member , Fri 20-Apr-12 02:22 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Compact flash card maximum