Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Expose to the right

Van Kamper

CA
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Expose to the right"

Van Kamper Registered since 15th Apr 2012
Sun 15-Apr-12 03:44 PM | edited Sun 15-Apr-12 03:53 PM by Van Kamper

'My opinion is that you both need to reread a text on how light is measured and stored by a sensor. Since the sensor (measurement) is linear and the light scale is logarithmic, there is far more data (discernible gradations) in the shadow end of the spectrum than in the highlight end. This is precisely why Dlighting works better pulling detail out of the shadows than the highlights.'
--------------------------

The sensor is linear, but so is light, only we chose a log scale for convenience in graphing it. You could have chosen any other base. Dlighting does not work for the reasons you describe.I could open up shadows in an analog image with dodging and also see more resolution in shadows. Our eyes simply prefer lighter then darker blocked up areas that can be unblocked by dodging. Noise is seperate issue from resolution (36mp is the resolution of the camera, how it is affected down the pipeline is a seperate issue, as is magnification). The resolution is the same in the shadows and highlights, and nothing to do with the crazy idea of ETTR. Now your telling me the exact opposite. Try the test.,...shoot a white and dark patch (equal size), and you will see identical amount of pixels used for the dark and light patch...observe the peaks which refers to qty of pixels. Same amount of pixels for both patches means same resolution, although noise dummies down resolution at lower tones.

I don't believe inn ettr, but it won't hurt either if you watch your highlights and don't mind viewing overexposed images on your cameras lcd, rather then see the mood (to me more important). It won't help improve your artistic vision, and more likely mean you miss the shot chimping too much. This is a subject suitable for those qualified, so we get the right answers, and for many of us we wouldn't understand the theory anyways. I'm not a sensor or camera engineer, and I think that holds for the rest of us....so opinions are only that.It would actually be better to say nothing, then something wrong. But we all love making an opinion, as i do. However, a histogram is easy to read, there is not much too it (qty vs tonal values at bottom), and if your viewfindeer is filled evenly with the left side at zone 3 and the right side at zone 7, the histogram will show 18million pixels for the left and 18 million for the right (the peaks in the histogram are identical). That is all we need to know.

I have found Micheal Reichman never accurate in his articles. His Ettr concept is wrong. He has stated 10mp matches medium format,then later said a p45 digital back (39mp) equaled 4x5. All proven wrong in time. He has never been right, but likes the attention his website gets....because he is not a scientist, engineer on cameras or sensors. Would you listen to him for medical advice (remembering he is just a photographer). His comment was made years ago, and still his errors are talked about, benefitting his site. I'm outta here...this issue will never be resolved...too many things to discuss and comes into play.

A general, generic topic Expose to the right [View all] , nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography , Thu 29-Mar-12 12:12 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Expose to the right