Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D700s"

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Fri 16-Mar-12 08:47 PM

I think that's a great question.

Oleg Kikin has put up an actuation database on the web at:
http://olegkikin.com/shutterlife/sitemap.php

When you look at the stats of the D700 (287 cameras in the D700 database) he's showing the average number of actuations after which the D700 died at 149,666, yet it's also showing about 17% go on well past that number.

There is no doubt my older D700, now my backup is on borrowed time. I certainly could invest in a new shutter for it, but I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense at this point.

I really can't afford to travel without a reliable backup, so the new camera is an important purchase.

For those who think a backup camera isn't important if you're shooting something or someone for which another opportunity might never occur, or you're being paid to get the shot, let me pass two stories along.

I was in a workshop with Joe McNally about studio lighting. I was there to get ideas, and learn more about portable studio lighting from a practical standpoint. (The workshop was great, by the way.) Joe was using his D3s for the workshop and before the morning was over, it died. Halfway through the afternoon another D3s died. Fortunately, he actually had 3 (possibly 4, I don't remember) D3s cameras, so the workshop continued.

Later this year I'll be shooting in Antarctica. There are no repair shops or stores there to get my equipment fixed or purchase anew. I'll probably never get back there. It's worth it to have a reliable backup, even if you've got to rent.

I know a birder who's at a local wildlife refuge about as much as I am. We were talking a couple of months ago about the Galapagos. He wanted to know what equipment I've used there. During the conversation I suggested he should have a backup camera as he'll likely never get back there. He had his regular Canon DSLR (No boos, please - he's otherwise a good guy - LOL.) but not even an old camera he didn't use any more. He took my advice for this trip and got a rental. When he got back he told me he wants to take me out to dinner. His camera broke 4 days into the trip, but the rental worked perfectly.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

This is a hot, active topic! D700s [View all] , Devonish , Mon 12-Mar-12 01:40 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700s