Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Compact Flash Card Failure with D700

agitater

Toronto, CA
4526 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700"

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Tue 13-Mar-12 01:24 PM

Dual storage card slots are more about options and feature creep. I don't think the presence of dual storage cards slots should be taken as a hint that cards might fail. Options including backup to the second slot, overflow to the second slot, JPG in one slot/NEF in the other, and still images in one slot/video in the other, cover the variety of practical storage card uses in a dual slot camera.

Two CF cards failed on me several years ago. They were a pair of older 512MB and 1GB cards with literally thousands of usage cycles. They'd simply exceeded (by far) their rated number of writes. I had the cards for eight years. CF media manufactured somewhat more recently are even more reliable. I cycle a dozen CF cards (4GB, 8GB, 16GB) in & out of my D700 (over 60,000 shots). I've been using most of the same dozen cards since I purchased the camera over three years ago. None of the cards have ever failed or thrown an error.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

A general, generic topic Compact Flash Card Failure with D700 [View all] , Mike in FL Silver Member , Mon 12-Mar-12 07:38 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700