Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Compact Flash Card Failure with D700

blw

Richmond, US
28552 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700"

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Tue 13-Mar-12 12:54 PM

I've had a total of one frame lost on CF cards due to an issue with the CF card in 8+ years. (and zero lost frames from SmartMedia, SD cards and other flash form factors.)

As a whole, flash memory is extremely reliable, although it is definitely not perfect. While I think I know of a couple of cases where flash media have failed photographers, I also know of at least one case where a CF card went for a swim in the Merced River (not me, but I saw it), another one got run over by one of those warehouse tractor thingies (that one was me, I dropped it at just the wrong moment) and probably a couple of other problematic situations in which the cards and contents survived.

Far more likely to fail are the pins in the camera (I know of several cases of that) and most commonly, loss of the card itself.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

A general, generic topic Compact Flash Card Failure with D700 [View all] , Mike in FL Silver Member , Mon 12-Mar-12 07:38 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700