Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Long exposure question

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4578 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Long exposure question"

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sat 03-Mar-12 03:04 PM | edited Sat 03-Mar-12 03:04 PM by richardd300

I'm sure you know this, but a friendly tip in case you didn't.

Vitally important is to close the viewfinder blind and I even cover the plastic distance guide lens perpex viewer for exposures over about 45 secs. If you don't light will creep in and then you will be at risk of banding. See the before and after images below as an example. In image 1 you can see the tripod shadow which means the viewfinder was pointing towards the sun. Image two the blind is closed and the distance scale taped off. Both 60 secs @ f22 exposure time.

Only thought I'd mention it as it confused me, even I thought I had the viewfinder blind closed, it was sticking half open! I even wrote to Digital Camera Magazine who published my query and they told me about the possibility in bright sunlight that the distance scale should be masked off too.

Richard

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

A general, generic topic Long exposure question [View all] , iunlock Silver Member , Fri 02-Mar-12 12:35 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Long exposure question