Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Using your camera like a telescope

Shy Talk

Port Glasgow, UK
652 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Using your camera like a telescope"

Shy Talk Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2010
Tue 28-Feb-12 11:35 AM | edited Tue 28-Feb-12 11:44 AM by Shy Talk

Hi Brian

I'm not after shots in the usual way. Just after max resolution! (well, as long as we're persuing this 'using it like a telescope' topic).

At the moment, with very faraway subjects, after I've zoomed in as far as I can, there's a blur of lettering. More resolution might help but it's surely not going to make anything worse.

As you know, I've tried upping the magnification by using a TC- and that didn't work because it degraded the optical performance.

Packing more mp might be my best chance of resolving a bit more detail.

Just for the record, the 50-500 OS/ D300s combo is an extremely impressive telescope replacement.

It's stabilised, it takes photos, it's easy to download to the 'puter for scrutiny and I always have it with me anyway!

As far as CAM3500 goes, the reason I came to Nikon was to get the best AF available. Although you are correct about a lesser AF system working most of the time, it's when conditions deteriorate that a top line AF system really starts to shine.

The Olympus AF on my old E-3 works for 'most' people, 'most' of the time, but it nearly drove me off my rocker, especially if conditions were less than ideal.

I'm only buying the best, when it comes to AF!

my webpage is at http://www.scottishops.co.uk

my Nikonians gallery is here. https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/330319

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Using your camera like a telescope [View all] , Shy Talk Silver Member , Mon 27-Feb-12 07:50 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Using your camera like a telescope