Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

FX vs DX and Wide Angle

Valentino

US
11613 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: FX vs DX and Wide Angle"

Valentino Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 04th Dec 2004
Fri 04-Jul-08 02:05 AM

I certainly agree that if your work is specialized to architectural shots, or anythng else, that you should have the best tools for that job. Anything else compromises either results or takes more time to get that those results. The 14-24 is, as I mentioned, the best of the best for sharpness and distortion for both DX and FX. Also, I know how non-landscape wide angle work requires perfect alignment. A little to much up, down, left or right and distortions rapidly slip in. Also, there are times when nothing can be done with the capture to prevent problems like keystoning or perspective distortion of subjects like buildings. There are certainly ways to fix this in Dx but anything that minimizes this work in the capture stage is welcome the way to go if you do a lot of it. When I shoot architectural shots I often spend plenty of time correcting the distortions using the transform tools in phtoshop but it is rare that a different lens and body would get it right without help due to the nature of the geometry relative to my vantage point. Like the shots below...

This first shot, taken handheld with a D200 at 1/10 sec at ISO 800 @12mm. It took a bit of work to get right since the original capture had complex perspective distortion which I hand corrected in several phases using transform tools.

The second one is also handheld taken with a D200 @ 12mm. I could not get further back without getting the cars in. But in the original capture the arch looked like it was falling over backwards because I was half the distance from the bottom to the top, thus creating a perspective distortion. A 14-24 f/2.8 would still have this effect because of the relative distances and FX may help but a fix would be necessary with anything other than much longer focal lenghts where center distance and top distances are simliar to where the photographer is standing.

I am not saying Dx is better at wide angle. The message I want to send in this thread is simply, Dx can do it also to those who may think it can't And if I shot a lot of architechture then at the very least, the new 14-24 would be in my bag. Right now it would have little use and is cost prohibitive for me but that will not stop me from getting the occasional wide angle capture

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Albert J Valentino
Nikonian Moderator Emeritus

Vantage Point Images
Mastery of Composition is the Key to Great Photography

This is a hot, active topic! FX vs DX and Wide Angle [View all] , Valentino Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography , Wed 02-Jul-08 11:28 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: FX vs DX and Wide Angle