Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

FX vs DX and Wide Angle

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: FX vs DX and Wide Angle"

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Wed 02-Jul-08 02:19 PM

No stones here, Albert. One minor quibble, though. The need for a longer lens on FX to achieve the same FOV is to some degree offset by the better noise performance. Adding a 1.4 TC loses you a stop of light, but for exposure purposes you can increase the ISO a stop and get about the same noise performance as the DX at one stop less ISO and sans TC. Adding glass is never ideal, of course, but the drop in lens performance is again offset by the lower pixel density (considering the current FX and DX 12-megapixel bodies). So it's pretty close to a wash, except for one factor: The AF systems are about equally sensitive, so that one stop of loss in the TC affects AF in low-light conditions.

The upshot though is that as a practical matter, you don't generally have to invest in a bigger lens when you go to FX unless you are maxed out with TCs already. And of course, if the point of going to FX is the high-ISO performance (which is why I got the D3), you don't really want to throw it away only to be back where you were. So it's a fairly complex issue. For me, the FX reality is that when shooting action sports, making the shutter speed twice as fast easily trumps having to crop a bit in post processing.

Ironically, it is at the wide end that I find myself adding glass to support FX. Coming to the Nikon party later than many, I stocked up on DX WA glass since that's what fit the bodies I had. I still shoot DX, too, and plan to do so for the indefinite future.

DX is not better than FX or vice versa. Both are good. Each is better suited to particular shooting situations. How those capabilities map onto an individual's shooting needs varies, as does how willing and able an individual is to bear the costs, which is why this debate won't die for a long time!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

This is a hot, active topic! FX vs DX and Wide Angle [View all] , Valentino Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography , Wed 02-Jul-08 11:28 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: FX vs DX and Wide Angle