Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

First Low Light Rock & Roll Pics with the D700

rnvanya

Pasadena, US
403 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: First Low Light Rock & Roll Pics with the D700"

rnvanya Registered since 07th Jan 2008
Sat 16-Aug-08 01:19 AM

Pretty good shots, considering the very low light conditions. I used to have similar issues with strange color casts when shooting theatrical performances, which also make heavy use of all sorts of colored filters. Then I began to experiment with the Kelvin scale in the White Balance setting. If you shoot in a concert setting again, I recommend experimenting with the Kelvin scale and it might correct a lot of the color cast. To do so, access the White Balance setting and scroll down to the "K Choose color temp" setting. The highest setting is 10000 K and the lowest setting is 2500 K. Generally speaking, the lower the setting the better for theatrical and concert lighting. I recently photographed a play and the pix had odd color casts until I lowered the White Balance all the way down to 2500 on the K scale, then the pix looked very natural. Also, some of your concert pix appear to have some blown highlights, which perhaps could have been avoided if you had lowered the exposure compensation to -0.7 or perhaps even -0.1. I've noticed the D700 tends to overexpose and many are recommending setting the exposure compensation to -0.3 by default.

RNV

A general, generic topic First Low Light Rock & Roll Pics with the D700 [View all] , ditchdigger , Fri 15-Aug-08 10:22 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: First Low Light Rock & Roll Pics with the D700
Reply message RE: First Low Light Rock & Roll Pics with the D700
Reply message RE: First Low Light Rock & Roll Pics with the D700 - wh...