Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 first impressions What yours ??

narc

UK
53 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D700 first impressions What yours ??"

narc Registered since 07th Aug 2008
Fri 15-Aug-08 05:50 PM | edited Fri 15-Aug-08 05:52 PM by narc

This is the first ever modern slr I have owned (film or digital) since I quickly stepped up to medium and large format from my old Nikon FM for quality reasons. I’d been waiting for all the annoyances in digital slrs out there to be resolved and the D700 delivered on paper.

Viewfinder a vast improvement over other dslrs I had handled and I felt confident manual focusing. The body feels very solid and rugged unlike many plastic feeling cameras out there these days – coming from old MF Nikons and medium format (read: all metal) I did not expect this. Screen was also impressive as was the instant turn on time and responsiveness. I dropped the cash. I was going to wedding that afternoon I bought it. Charged the battery, skim read the manual for 10mins before I left and took it with me since it was a friend’s and wasn’t paid.

Auto iso is a dream for weddings. I could be inside in very low light shooting at f1.8 and then move outside and shoot at f/4 and the iso would change to make sure my shutter speed was always OK to hand hold.

AF even in low light had no problems at all although wide open or with groups auto area AF would pick the wrong person on the tip of the nose so point selection was needed and it tracked well if the subject moved (very important at f/1.8!).

AIS lenses worked just as they do on MF bodies. Love this.

Messing about at night I tried live view with it on a tripod. It was a bit like using a medium format camera right down to zooming in to check focus – very nice.

Reviewing the RAWs showed that matrix metering never once blew the dress or dropped the groom’s suit, auto white balance did a good job, and I thought the iso 1250 shots were iso 400 at first! Image quality is probably on par with 645 format. Imacon scanned 6x7 is noticeably better and 4x5 blows it away obviously but that isn’t why I bought it.

It says a lot about the camera that someone with my gear background can skim the manual and shoot at a wedding.

A general, generic topic D700 first impressions What yours ?? [View all] , ghamden , Wed 13-Aug-08 01:02 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 first impressions What yours ??