Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 and I'm sure the D3 dynamic range = Fantastic

DKESLERFL

Miami (Coconut Grove), US
3198 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"D700 and I'm sure the D3 dynamic range = Fantastic"

DKESLERFL Registered since 21st Mar 2003
Fri 01-Aug-08 09:25 PM | edited Fri 01-Aug-08 09:26 PM by DKESLERFL

For some reason over the years I have always ended up in the teller line at the bank with either a new lens or camera in the seat beside me. Today it was the D700 with my trusty Nikkor 28-70 2.8 D AFS, a lens that was the bread and butter glass for PJ's since it's inception, but fell out of favor with the advent of DX because the range is rather off for such use. They all bought the 17-55 2.8 DX.
And of course Nikon has now come out with the excellent 24-70 G type.
I'm so happy to be able to use it again as it was intended.

It was 2:30 PM EDT, clear skies, and high summer in Miami. I decided to start out with a crazy shot mainly to check for CA along the edges of extremely hi-contrast areas. I never intended for it to be anything other than a reference series of shots. I started out at F2.8 ISO 200 and worked through several focal lengths and apertures. I was adjusting the exposure in manual and used no exposure compensation. I was shooting basically into the bright part of the sky with the side of the building in the foreground. Suicide! right? Surely it would take at least a -1.3-7 EV compensation just to get close to not blowing the highlights.

Well here is the shot and a screen shot of the histogram (Profoto-16bit colorspace). The reason for the screen shot is because when you compress the color space to sRGB and 8 bit the highlights do blow out and the shadows block up some.

This is pretty much straight out of the camera except for the RAW processing in ACR and resizing for the web. No D lighting, Highlights and shadow or other adjustments.

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Regards,

Don Kesler

http://www.donaldkesler.com

Through the judicious use of adjustment layers, no pixels were actually harmed in the processing of my shots..

A general, generic topic D700 and I'm sure the D3 dynamic range = Fantastic [View all] , DKESLERFL , Fri 01-Aug-08 07:25 PM