Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Midrange Zoom recommendation for D700

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Budget vs. price vs. expectations"

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sat 09-Aug-08 04:10 AM

>Obviously the 24-70 is going to out perform the 24-120 at the
>maximum apertures of the 24-120 but unless shooting into the
>light (the 24-70 has nano coating) at f8-f11 sharpness and
>resolution are the near identical.
>The 24-70 is less than half the price, has a wider zoom range
>and has VR - but cannot be used at f2.8
>Which combination of features YOU want determines which lens
>is likely to be best for you.

My 24-70mm f/2.8 is worlds sharper and more consistent at every aperture and focal length it has in common with my 24-120mm VR. I think the 24-120 is fine for casual walkabouts (shopping, visiting the relatives, etc., etc.) but for project work I think it's a big bust. Every so often I get a critically sharp image out of my 24-120, but most of the time it's just a whole lotta average. It's (from my perspective) the perfect walking around range, but Nikon did an unremarkable job on either the design or the execution. My cheap, old 28-200 AF-D is sharper and more consistent than the 24-120 VR and for me that overcomes the VR advantage. I recently picked up one of the new Tamron 28-300 XR DI VC lenses and find that it is sharper and more consistent in regular use than the 24-120 Nikkor.

My standard urban kit these days is the 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, a really nice Zeiss 35mm f/2 Distagon, and a 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor (the last two used almost exclusively for night work.

For someone on a budget, an older 35-70 or 28-70 is comparatively cheap and razor sharp. A 70-300 Nikkor VR produces amazingly good images for longer stuff and portraiture, etc., etc.

My two cents (again) because I wanted to add my disappointed comments about the 24-120 and my relatively good recent experience with the Tamron 28-300 VC.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

A general, generic topic Midrange Zoom recommendation for D700 [View all] , jmteno76 , Wed 30-Jul-08 03:06 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Midrange Zoom recommendation for D700