Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Midrange Zoom recommendation for D700

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Midrange Zoom recommendation for D700"

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Wed 30-Jul-08 09:37 PM | edited Wed 30-Jul-08 09:42 PM by agitater

Look for a used Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8 AF. It's a wonderful lens that I'm now using from time to time on my D700 and D3 when I just don't feel like hauling the heavy 24-70 f/2.8 Nikkor. The 35-70 was and is an excellent, sharp and accurate lens. You'll find good ones at $250 and up.

How about a 1990s vintage Nikkor 28-200 f/3.5-5.6 AF? It was never the sharpest lens in the bag, but as an all-purpose lens for the D700 it's a blast. I've got an old one that I dug out of the bottom of my lens storage bag and it works beautifully on my D700. You'll find them used at anywhere from $150-$250 depending on condition.

The Nikkor 24-120mm VR zoom has been knocked badly by a lot of people, sometimes for good reasons. The one I purchased (used) about a year ago is very good however. In any case, there are lots of them around, used, so it's easy enough to find a good one for about $399 if you have access to a few different camera shops that sell used glass. This is by far the ideal zoom range in a walkabout lens for the D700 I think. Plenty of range, lots of wide angle, first generation VR which works really well, and comparatively light weight.

The middle-age Nikkor 28-80mm AF and 28-105mm AF zooms also work well. I just picked up a 28-105 that seems to be very sharp indeed. But like I said above, my 24-120 VR seems to be a particularly good one and I've used it a lot on the D3 and now the D700. Anyway, there are also lots and lots of used Nikkor 28-105mm lenses out there and, again, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a nice, sharp one.

Tamron have a bargain priced DI 28-75mm f/2.8 XR zoom that does a great job for one-third the cost of the Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8. If you're on a budget but still need fast glass, look at this Tammy (if you need some wide angle) and the older Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8 if you're less concerned about wide angle.

Last but not least, if you find a sharp copy of the 24-120mm VR remember that while it may be technically slower (f/3.5-5.6), the first gen VR gives you two full stops to play with and the D700 adds an additional two stop advantage because of its excellent high ISO/low noise performance.

Hope this helps rather than confuses.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

A general, generic topic Midrange Zoom recommendation for D700 [View all] , jmteno76 , Wed 30-Jul-08 03:06 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Midrange Zoom recommendation for D700