Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 not enought mpix?

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D700 not enought mpix?"

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Wed 30-Jul-08 03:56 AM

Well said yourself . . . and it NEVER ends. We're all doomed.

During the 35mm film days, we often used the same camera body for many, many years before moving up. Even then, purchase of top quality glass outlived many bodies. I've owned and used my 80-200 for at least two decades. It's been serviced three times by Nikon over the years and remains as sharp as ever. I've got a lot of glass like that and so do many others. You too I guess?

My father-in-law has been using the same, heavy pig of a Manfrotto tripod for more than twenty years. He's an excellent photographer. He used an MGR/MGCR(?) series Manfrotto head for a very long time and only recently upgraded to a Kirk ballhead. Meanwhile, I've gone through five tripods (at least) and countless heads during the same time period. Dopey me - and my photography only improved as my eye improved. Nothing to do with the stupid tripods and heads.

FX in low light/high ISO situations is a revelation. My D3 opened up photo ops I'd been looking trying to get for years. The D700 which I just picked up makes it easier for me to do much of what the D3 does but with a much lighter load on long urban walkabouts.

Anyway, my point is that after 10 megapixels, top quality DX and full frame 35mm-equivalent photography has more to do with composition and lighting than anything else. I think we've reached the point where megapixels are simply not the deciding quality factor anymore.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

This is a hot, active topic! D700 not enought mpix? [View all] , cayzi , Tue 29-Jul-08 11:20 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 not enought mpix?
Reply message RE: Keeping it simple