Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 for a 1st Time DSLR User?

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D700 for a 1st Time DSLR User?"

johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Mon 28-Jul-08 11:13 PM | edited Tue 29-Jul-08 05:17 AM by johno

I have been on the same path as you. Film -- P&S -- DSLR (DX) and now D700.

If you have the cash, get the D700 and don't look back. There is a joy of ownership with the D700 that will never be verbalized in any review, and which transcends technical pixel-comparisons.

If you take a lot of pictures of birds or distant small objects you might want a DX format. (Personally, while I respect exceptional wildlife work very much, I don't enjoy it myself.)

However, if you are wanting a camera that behaves like your old film bodies, skip DX and go right to a D700.

Then you can get a 50 MM 1.4 or 1.8 and a few other judicious lens buys and you are back where you were with film. For me DX just never felt right. It was nice having a bit more zoom, but....

Be advised -- there are many ways of looking at this and only one view that is right for you. I had to sell off three pieces of gear I loved to make this happen, and now there four people happy - the DX gear buyers and me. If they are as happy as I am (one buyer used the word "thrilled", the world is now a much beter place! And nobody has made a "wrong" decision.

The good news for you is that there are D300s coming up for sale that have been used no more than 8 months at a steep discount from new. The smart money is on a used D300 or a new D700 I believe.

A general, generic topic D700 for a 1st Time DSLR User? [View all] , mbushnell Silver Member , Sun 27-Jul-08 06:23 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 for a 1st Time DSLR User?
Reply message ....I would...