Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What will you do with your "old" camera?

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: What will you do with your "old" camera?"

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Tue 22-Jul-08 03:37 PM

Todd,

The features you point out about the 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0 lens certainly highlights it against the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G AFS lens that is now discontinued. Why it's discontinued has always puzzled me, maybe it was caught in the rush to DX, but I found the AFS version to be very fast focusing, great color contrast and a perfect street focal length range. I used both lenses for a while; a buddy had the AFD version and I had the AFS. We both concluded that the AFD version was more rugged but that the AFS version gave images that we preferred (on film).

I think FF/FX is now due for a "prosumer" mid-range zoom with all the "updates" from the prior 24-85 offerings.

For really arduous trips where I had to distribute weight and especially minimize what was on my person at any single time, I often took the 24mm f/2.8 AFD, 35mm f/2 AFD, 50mm f/1.4 AFD and a 105mm f/2.5 AIS or 135mm f/2.8 AIS. I could mix and match from the kit bag to the carry bag. I still have most of those, so maybe it's time for a D700.

On the other hand, I think the 24-70mm is a perfect zoom range . My FF SLR kit was a 24mm f/2.8 AFD, 35-70mm f/2.8 AF plus 85mm f/1.8 for portraits/street. The rest was covered by a 70-200mm f/2.8G AFS VR.

Best Regards,

Roger
It is still ISO, aperture and shutter speed, right?

A topic tagged as having a question What will you do with your "old" camera? [View all] , tflub , Tue 22-Jul-08 12:50 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What will you do with your "old" camera?